Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New Direction

With the new year barely behind us, I've been thinking about a new direction for my blog. Homesteading is on my mind more and more and I'm daily looking for ways to live a simplier life. So, I will share my journey along the way.

Providing my family with more homemade food has been one path I've been exploring. I bake bread and rolls from scratch on a weekly basis which the guys really enjoy. As I've tried to steer a little further away from processed and packaged foods, I began looking at what we eat for breakfast. I really wanted to get away from toaster pastries, cereal, other 'sweet' breakfast treats. Teenage boys can be picky but I really wanted to find something filling, not-so-sweet, and quick for weekday breakfasts.

One thing I found that has proven to be a hit is breakfast burritos. They are filling and quick for them to heat up. I make a batch up on the weekend, stick them in the freezer, and they can pop one in the microwave in the morning. Simple!

Breakfast Burritos

8-10 flour tortillas (burrito size)
1 lb ground sausage
1-2 cups frozen southern hash browns or dice your own potatoes
4-6 eggs, optional
Crumble and fry up the sausage, drain. Cook the hash browns according to the package, or if using fresh potatoes fry till done. Salt and pepper the potatoes. Scramble and cook the eggs if using. Only two of my boys will eat eggs so I only put eggs in half the burritos I make.
Working with only 3 tortillas at a time, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high about 20 seconds. Put some sausage, potatoes, and eggs in the tortilla and roll up burrito style. The amount of filling all depends on how stuffed you want them and how many you are going to make. I then wrap each burrito in wax paper and stack them in a plastic container and put in freezer. In the morning you can unwrap and microwave on high about 1-1/2 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: