Thursday, February 23, 2012

It's a Keeper!

So, last night I decided to try a recipe for White Bean Chowder I found on A Communal Table blog. I was really worried about how the guys would like it so I changed the recipe to hopefully appeal to them more (which means I added tons more BACON!). I also changed a few other things that depended on what I had on hand at the time.
Well, guess what?! Scott said "It's a keeper"! He loved it and so did I. Boys thought it was okay and they did eat it all, so that's something.
Here is my modified recipe for White Bean Chowder.

White Bean Chowder

1 lb bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup finely diced sweet onion
1/2 cup each of finely diced celery, carrot, and bell pepper (I didn't use pepper because I didn't have any on hand)
1/2 cup Chardonnay (this is the only alcohol I had on hand. Original recipe called for dry sherry but I think anything would work even beer.)
1 Tbsp flour (next time I will use more, it didn't thicken enough for me)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
5 cups chicken broth (I used boullion)
2-3 cups great northern beans, cooked (I used only dry beans now, so I soaked my beans over night and then cooked them all day in my bean cooker first. Original recipe calls for 2 cans of white cannelli beans.)
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

In large pot or dutch oven, cook the bacon on medium high and until brown and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Pour out all but about 1 tsp. bacon fat. Add vegetables and saute until softened, about 3-5 minutes. I added salt and pepper with the veggies.
Increase heat to high and add the alcohol, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Cook until almost all the liquid is evaporated, about 4 min.
Reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle the flour and thyme over the veggies. Stir and cook for 1-2 min.
Add the chicken broth, stirring and scraping the bottom of pan. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 4 minutes. Add the beans, bacon, and milk. I added a little garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Warm through and adjust seasonings if need be.
You can garnish with minced veggies if desired.
Serves 4-5. Enjoy!

No comments: